Which bot did I do? Azarethroy 12:51, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
- Haha, oops! Azarethroy 13:24, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
- 1 wiki emails
- 2 blocking those anoying bots ?
- 3 What's the go with copying from wikipedia
- 4 OpenID not working for me - see community tech portal
- 5 Community Portal needs your attention.
- 6 ref wiki command
- 7 IsIn Template
- 8 relation to BW wiki / your message
- 9 Nice idea here, but it really misses Marketing!
- 10 Attribution
- Just quickly fixed something in my mail servers. Should be better now. guaka 08:50, 21 October 2009 (UTC)
I cannot get confirmation email on my gmx adress neither, but for hotmail it works fine (I would rather get the emails at gmx...) --Bikepunk 22:09, 28 October 2009 (UTC)
- I requested an extra line in DNS (@ TXT v=spf1 a mx ~all) that might resolve this. guaka 22:25, 28 October 2009 (UTC)
- I still never get confirmation email @gmx.com ... Bikepunk 01:17, 29 October 2009 (UTC)
- Hmm, Roy is transferring the couchwiki.org domain to me so that we can change stuff more quickly. Still, it might be another problem, but I want to make sure the DNS is correct first. I'll keep you updated. guaka 23:29, 6 November 2009 (UTC)
- Sorry for the delay guys. I've just emailed Kasper re: transferring the domain to him, so he can make any changes himself. azarethroy (15:51, 10 November 2009 (UTC))
- The transfer came through. I added a field in the DNS that should fix this issue. Let me know if it's better now - or not. guaka 10:10, 9 December 2009 (UTC)
- I still do not get emails at gmx.com :( Bikepunk 18:34, 28 December 2009 (UTC)
blocking those anoying bots ?
as you've seen, from yesterday a nasty bot is "attacking" couchwiki. I "undo"ed as much as possible, but since this bot is changing his IP for each edit, should we block th IPs, he's using ? Bikepunk 05:55, 14 November 2009 (UTC)
- It's possible to block thousands of IPs but I set up reCAPTCHA and no bot edits since then, I think it'll be adequate for now. guaka 10:46, 14 November 2009 (UTC)
What's the go with copying from wikipedia
See community portal for question.
OpenID not working for me - see community tech portal
I tried logging in with my Aol Open ID but it say's it's cancelled. I ticked all the boxes except email for the moment. Is there a problem? I also have a twitter/hotmail accounts. I'm not sure I want them all linked though..... --188.8.131.52 08:59, 22 December 2009 (UTC)
- Hmm, AOL's OpenID might not work properly with MediaWiki OpenID extension. I'll try upgrading to the latest version of the extension (some time) to see if that solves it. Right now I'm only sure that MyOpenID and the WordPress OpenID provider plugin work for me :) guaka 01:35, 27 December 2009 (UTC)
- Same person as above. Still not working. I suppse with the NY period you've been very busy. --184.108.40.206 03:05, 9 January 2010 (UTC)
- Happy to report it works with AIM openid. I'm not sure on my username though? Can I change it? (not asking you to do it yet).
- Cool that it works!
- I don't think it's easy to change usernames in mediawiki... guaka 02:56, 16 January 2010 (UTC)
Community Portal needs your attention.
ref wiki command
Hi guaka. You told me a while ago that you would install an extension to make the ref tags work. Is there any progress on that? I would like to migrate the bw-fact-finding wiki to couchwiki but I need the ref things for this to make sense. Thanks for your help! Saraedum 12:49, 7 November 2011 (UTC)
- Ah, ok, I will try to set it up later this week. guaka 06:19, 8 November 2011 (UTC)
- I emptied the includeonly part of the template for now. http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Template:IsIn might have an anwer... I'll look into that after I manage to do something about the spambots. guaka (talk) 16:21, 24 December 2012 (CET)
relation to BW wiki / your message
Hi Guaka, I hope this is the right place and method to respond. Thank you for recognising my little contribution. You asked what I think of this couchwiki vs. bewelcome wiki. As a disgruntled CS user after the ToU change, I registered with BW and found the local group including the associated BW wiki, so I updated a few things there. With the CS wiki shutdown I became actively aware of Couchwiki, and generally I think the effort of maintaining information should be placed where it benefits most users. So if we document something not specific to a particular hospex network, why not document it on neutral ground and refer to it from everywhere. Likewise, in my contributions to couckwiki I would not try to copy statistic and general purpose data that can be found on wikipedia already, not would I concentrate on classic mass-tourist description of sights, but primarily on the practical aspects of how to get around, how to live on little budget, and interesting stuff to see beyond the main tourist paths. This might also be a distinguisihing feature of couchwiki vs. wikivoyage. Whether the split is worth it depends of course if each wiki has enough momentum to build a document pool that is worth consulting. Looks like the Germany coverage is rather poor, as far as I can tell from the country/land index pages :( --KarlEMuc (talk) 01:10, 19 January 2013 (CET)
Nice idea here, but it really misses Marketing!
Hello Guarka, nice you kept this wiki, but it would need much better Marketing, I guess one have to be pretty nerd to find this! Better explain, what to do in order to be found, when people search for couchsurfing in Google! I was thinking about launching realcouchsurfing.org, to enable a platform that unites all, that are not so happy with biggest hospitality exchange becoming a for profit organization, it would be much better, have this wiki, a discusstion/decision making forum and a guide, howto get well ranked in Google in one place. A domain having the buzzword couchsurfing in domain frame, could be an advantage to rank well against the now-for-profit-c$ webseite, how do you think about that?
- Hi Pianist! Eh, what exactly do you want to do? And what do you want me to do? :) guaka (talk) 10:36, 7 June 2013 (CEST)
Hello Guaka! My name is Aleksandra and I am the community manager for Wikitravel.org. I have recently come across your website (which I find really nice) and noticed that you are republishing our travel guide content without a proper attribution, which is a violation of our writers' copyright. Please contact me as soon as possible at [email protected] Thank you! AlexW (talk) 00:11, 27 June 2013 (CEST)
- Sorry I don't have (much) time to work on this wiki. It's a community wiki, so in that sense I see two options:
- 1. Feel free to work it out on this wiki. Add a list or add the attribution where you think it's needed.
- 2. Let your writers contact me about their copyright and I'll set things straight.
- Cheers, guaka (talk) 23:12, 27 June 2013 (CEST)
- Thank you, Guaka for your prompt response! Adding attribution is something that has to be implemented throughout your destination articles which use Wikitravel content. Please have a look at your Beijing page. The content from the first section is copied from Wikitravel Beijing page. I suggest you read this page that explains how to re-use Wikitravel guides. Basically, at the bottom of every article that has content copied from Wikitavel you would have to write something like This article is derived from the article Beijing on wikitravel.org/en. There it is published under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike 3.0 License. More details and the full list of contributors can be found on the associated history page and link back to Wikitravel. Please correct the attribution to point to the appropriate Wikitravel pages as soon as possible as otherwise this would be considered violation of our writers' copyrights. Let me know if you have any questions. You can contact me via email at [email protected] Looking forward to hearing back from you. Cheers! AlexW (talk) 01:29, 28 June 2013 (CEST)
- I created Template:Wikitravel, which I put on Beijing. Feel free to edit the template and add it where you seem fit. That's about as much time as I can spend on this.
- If any of the original writers have any problems with their work being copied I'll be happy to hear from them and I'll do my best to resolve their issues. Cheers, guaka (talk) 01:12, 30 June 2013 (CEST)
- Guaka, this cannot be just a template. It has to be a proper attribution embedded within the article as this is a violation of the Attribution-Share License and the rights of Wikitravel.org as the original content creator. In view of the foregoing, Internet Brands, Inc. who owns Wikitravel.org, herby requests that you cease and desist copying content from Wikitravel.org, unless you provide proper attribution to Wikitravel.org . Here you have a page that is properly attributing Wikitravel.org and the article contributors. Please scroll to the bottom to see how the attribution should look like. We expect you to timely comply with the requests set forth herein. Should this use continue, Internet Brands, Inc. reserves all rights and remedies provided by law. Looking forward to your response. Warm regards, AlexW (talk) 23:45, 1 July 2013 (CEST)
- I've taken most of the site offline for now so that this can be properly resolved. I hope that makes all of you IB employees feel all warm inside. guaka (talk) 00:56, 5 July 2013 (CEST)
- We checked all articles and deleted everything that could have possibly come from Wikitravel. No need for attribution anymore. Let me know if there's still a page that we missed that you want us to delete. guaka (talk) 10:58, 9 July 2013 (CEST)